Monday, August 22, 2011

Black as the night......but scarier!



Let me start by apologizing for making a 'meal' out of what might really be a snack but the enjoyment is often in the telling.
2 days ago I was out walking on the road I live on.....not much traffic or population except the odd tourist on their way fishing when I saw something crossing the road about 2 or 3oo yards ahead of me.
Camera ready as always by the time I had realized it was a LITTLE too big for anything domestic it had 3/4 crossed the road and I zoomed hoping the animal would stay long enough.
Unfortunately my smaller Canon is not a very fast focus and by the time it focused the animal was gone...shoot anyway but DAMM!!!
That evening when my wife came home from work I told her the story and she asked me WHY I hadn't just taken a normal shot FIRST....then tried a zoom.....right!...no answer.
Last night I decided to review the pictures from the previous 2 days on that card and lo and behold....I HAD captured him!
He's not a fully grown adult but I he's too big for this year so maybe 1 or 2 years old...only about 200 lbs ( they can get up to 400 or so )but big enough to hurt you anyway!
Included is a picture I took almost exactly 3 years ago according the the embedded info at our dump...from the safety of my pickup....no zoom needed there!
I have seen in the past as many as 7 in the dump but now our dump burns everything and we no longer see many bears....too bad.

7 comments:

  1. It's great, you've got him. A really thrilling story!

    Tony

    ReplyDelete
  2. The wildlife in your neighbourhood is alarming to say the least! This would come under the 'ultimate thrill' theme for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hanging around too close to people is dangerous for the Bear - Not all humans act rationally or even predictablly. Better for you to travel! Is that object behind the bottom bear anothe turkey buzzard in flight? Or an Native American Chief????

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are brave...I would have forgotten the picture and very slowly moved away lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. To see a bear in the wild would be wonderful as long as I was safely tucked away in a vehicle.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It would be worrisome to think that one might encounter one of these creatures in a less than friendly state! Too many bear stories coming out of Yellowstone this year. Glad you weren't a bear's snack!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Always listen to the Mrs. and from now on carry a big stick too.

    ReplyDelete