Thursday, September 15, 2011

Challenge.....what the heck are they?



I took this picture yesterday afternoon.
Just a normal scene around here....huge flocks of Canada Geese in a field.
Stopping over for a rest I presume for the upcoming long flight.
Today I cropped and examined it and discovoured something unusual. It is in the insert picture....just a blow-up of the top left section of the other picture.
Heavily cropped from the original it isn't as clear as I'd like it to be but what it shows IS interesting.
Along with the geese are some other birds...further away and yet larger....and keeping in mind that a Canada Goose is quite large these things must be VERY big.
Some sort of Crane and what we have a lot of here are Sand Hill Cranes...with a red cap on the top of their heads.
I don't see that colour in the picture so I'm guessing they are Blue Herons....slightly bigger at about 5 feet tall or more.
If anyone knows from this so-so picture let me know....that is just my best guess.

10 comments:

  1. They resemble, what we call Cape Barren Geese, which graze feilds so well that there is othing left for sheep to eat, but I doubt that they fly that far.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the big birds in the background are wild turkeys.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The geese I am not familiar with but we have lots of wild turkeys around here and they usually aren't that big.....sure would be nice if they were though!

    ReplyDelete
  4. They look like turkeys to me. Herons would not hang out in a field. Perhaps their size is some sort of optical illusion.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree that they look like some sort of crane, just trying to get directions from their much shorter friends.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Could be cranes, I think. Great shot!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those are big birds . . . I would say turkey, but i don't think turkey get that large.

    ReplyDelete
  8. They kind of look like our sand hill cranes...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Five feet tall...now that is a huge bird...with some big poo to fall from the sky too! I bet they can eat a lot of winter wheat shoots!

    ReplyDelete
  10. could the five footers have been hunting decoys? have seen some that large before.

    ReplyDelete