Friday, August 12, 2011

Busy as a beaver....not just an idle expression.


On one corner of my property I have a section that is part of a massive stream/swamp area and it provides me with much aquatic and aviary enjoyments.
The biggest problem however is one of Canada's symbols...besides the Maple Leaf....the long-suffering beaver.
They cut down an IMPRESSIVE number of trees each day mainly for eating and for building lodges...where they will over-winter.
The Beaver is the largest rodent in North America and I believe the second or third largest in the world.
I can't swear it's true but evidence suggests and my experience says that poplar is their favorite food and building material.
This picture depicts 2 smaller trees ( already removed by the beaver(s) ) about 4 and 6 inches respectively but I have seen MUCH larger trees taken down by them.
The size of the chips will show you just how much they remove at one chomp.

7 comments:

  1. Beavers can do a great deal of damage very quickly . . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. ... and it's not easy seeing beavers at work.

    Tony

    ReplyDelete
  3. Envious as hell that you are privledged enough to live next door to bucky beaver, they seem as skittish as out Platypus, which I have been unsuccessful at photographing but they don't leave evidence like this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That beaver sure has some sharp teeth! :) I can't believe how powerful their mouths are!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I recognized the work of beavers before reading your information. Hopefully they are clearing the trees you want to be removed. Your composition is visually pleasing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow,moose in the last post and now beavers! Looking forward to seeing what the next form of wildlife is going to be. Their teeth must be incredible.

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOL....They NEVER cut down the trees you'd like them to and usually they use the ones they do cut down.
    The only 'free' knockdowns I get is when we have a severe wind storm...then there's too much.

    ReplyDelete