Wednesday, August 10, 2011

My willow finally gets the point.


I was on my way out for a quad ride in the bush and I heard this guy tapping away on my willow.
I have a decidedly love/hate relationship with that darn willow so I was hoping maybe he's eat it up.
Willows provide great shade and this one is close to the front door so I love it for that but it sheds thousands of tiny leaves in the fall and they cover everything.
This is a Downy woodpecker I believe, not more than about 6-8 inches tall.
There is also a pileated one, somewhat larger who used to enjoy tapping on our metal TV antenna first thing every morning.
Thankfully he moved.

4 comments:

  1. Will need some time eating up the willow. I know the problem with leaves and leaves and leaves in autumn, too.
    Tony

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is the culprit who has been trying to eat my house (for such a little pesk he sure is cute!)! Nice capture!

    ReplyDelete
  3. downy woodpeckers are such sweet birds, one used to perch on the fence while I refilled the suet in the winter months.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Perhaps you can teach the bird another tune, one you can tap along to together LOL.

    ReplyDelete